It all happened in a week. Man-made land isn’t sovereign land says UN. 12 nautical miles is “sovereign”. US Navy to park inside 12 miles of China’s man-made islets in the making; a volatile military standoff is inevitable. A US invitation to Beijing for annual Navy practice must also invite Taiwan! Beijing rebukes.
Taiwan’s controlling, Beijing-friendly KMT-Nationalist party has no strong Presidential candidate; opposition DPP has one front-runner with party-wide support. Beijing won’t be happy.
US unveils new multi-purpose drones. China enacts old multi-warhead nukes. Japan was never a better friend to the US, says Kerry.
Kerry and Xi smile for the camera in a series of meetings resemblant of pre-WWII Europe; USA Today reports Xi describing the situation as “stable”, a description that wouldn’t necessary if it were true.
…If Beijing practices with US Navy, so can Taiwan, Beijing won’t be happy. And…
…NY Times, diagrams and explanation of MIRV and timeline
…a look at Taiwan’s strange election politics, why change is immanent.
…After all the dram-o-rama over who would be elected, the KMT-Nationalist party has no front-runner. Taiwan is destined for the change for which Beijing vowed invasion.
…Insect-inspired, $250 ea, “paper airplane”, multi-purpose drones
…Video and many pictures
…Anything but “stable”, video of Kerry-Xi meeting
…NPR story, diagrams, pictures
…On the Pentagon report from last week
…Outragious! A gambling political party forecast to lose control in 2016 as they did in local elections in 2014, interference with due process. No prosecutor is asked to resign if his cases result “not guilty”, no mater who is prosecuted. Symptomatic of an old “save and lose face” culture, and another reason the 2016 elections look like they are shaping up to be.
…Informed blogger on the bloodline elitism that controls Taiwan.
…The only electable KMT hopeful, unable to run due to hatred from his own party’s bosses.
- Despite tension, Xi says U.S.-China relations are stable | Reuters (firstpost.com)
- [Josh Rogin] Calls to punish China for ocean actions grow (koreaherald.com)
- Despite tension, Xi says U.S.-China relations are stable (trust.org)
- Despite tension, Xi says U.S.-China relations are stable (ajw.asahi.com)
- US navy set to confront China over island bases (thetimes.co.uk)
- US-CHINA: ‘ Despite tension, Xi says U.S.-China relations are stable ‘ (acenewsservices.com)
- US rejects China’s offer over disputed islands (spacewar.com)